I was nine when Star Wars first came out in 1977. It blew me away. Changed my life. Became like a religion–I joke that Star Trek is good entertainment but Star Wars is religion. (It can be argued that the former was better at inspiring tech and a hopeful future however.) But of course they are just movies and flawed ones at that. I will freely admit that the dialog of the original trilogy is a bit wooden however the descent didn’t really start until Jedi. Here is the timeline:
- A New Hope: An amazing, ground breaking, record breaking film
- Empire Strikes Back: In some ways an even better film (although a muppet as a main character? Hmmm.)
- Return of the Jedi: Ewoks instead of Wookies? What! Why?
- Special Editions: OMG! George, what have you done to my childhood!?
- Phantom Menace: WTF! Rock bottom. Unwatchable.
- Attack of the Clones: BBQ! When will the bloodletting stop!?
- Revenge of the Sith: What a steaming pile of Sith!
So it is understandable that I prepared to watch The Force Awakens with trepidation. Here is a review that I agree with.
There is some good news however. Some have taken it upon themselves to:
- Restore the original trilogy to it’s former glory
- Take the best of both worlds
- Attempts to make the unwatchable, watchable
- Reimagine what might have been
What are your thoughts?